Rainy Day Activities
Here are some ideas for when you can't be out enjoying the lakes! The Finger Lakes region has lots of other wonderful treasures to experience... try a few!
- Visit a winery - This is wine country, and there are over 70 wineries within an easy drive. You can sample wines, tour the cellars, shop for wine and unique gifts, and even have lunch and enjoy entertainment at many of them.
- Eat a grape pie! They are one of our regional specialties, especially during the fall harvest when you can get them fresh at roadside stands, farm markets, and wineries. You can also get fresh-frozen grape pies, or a jar of pie filling to make your own, at Arbor Hill Winery & Grapery (just outside of Naples on Canandaigua Lake). You can bake it right in the comfort of your vacation home and enjoy this sweet local treat!
- Prowl for treasures through hundreds of booths at an indoor antique co-op such as Alan's Antique Alley in Bloomfield, the Antique Emporium of Farmington, or Ontario Mall Antiques, also in Farmington.
- Learn about aviation history, and one of Hammondsport's most famous residents, Glenn H. Curtiss, at the Curtiss Museum in Hammondsport. If you're a real aviation buff, don't stop there! Just a half hour's drive down Route 54 to Route 17, you can visit two more aviation museums, the National Warplane Museum in Big Flats and the National Soaring Museum at Harris Hill!
- Take in some local history at Sonnenberg Mansion and Gardens and Granger Homestead & Carriage Museum. They are both located in downtown Canandaigua, just a few blocks away from each other, and are wonderful examples of the architecture, history, and culture of days gone by!
- If it happens to be a Saturday - take in the Windmill Farm & Craft Market just outside of Penn Yan on Route 14A. It has three large buildings housing most of the over 250 vendors displaying their wares at this market. There are fresh baked goods, meats, cheeses, produce, wines, jams and jellies and all sorts of homemade Mennonite crafts to chose from. Quilts, furniture, clothing, garden accessories, plants, jewelry, soap, and leather goods are just a few of the treasures you'll find at the Windmill!
- Curl up by the fireplace with a good book and your favorite beverage. For a good book try Fagan's Used Books in Bloomfield, just a short drive from Canandaigua, Belknap Hill Books in downtown Penn Yan, or Book of Marvel on Market Street in Corning. You're sure to find what you're looking for at these places, from the rare or out-of-print titles, to gently used paperbacks, just browsing their shelves is half the fun! As for your favorite beverage ….remember all those wineries close by!
- If rubbing elbows with the locals is what you like to do - go for an old-fashioned home-cooked meal at one of our diners. The tiny Penn Yan Diner built in an old railcar has an atmosphere that can't be beat, except by the homemade pies and the reasonable prices! The Naples Diner or Bob's and Ruth's in Naples are great too. They both have that hometown flair you're looking for. Be sure to bring your appetite and save room for dessert.