Finger Lakes New York
It's time to pack for your trip to the Lake!
Use this checklist to be sure you don't forget any important items for your vacation. Because things like toilet paper, paper towels, and cleaning products are in limited supply, please plan to bring these with you along with the additional items listed below.
Currently, masks are required inside any New York State retail establishment. Be sure you have face coverings for each member of your family along with hand sanitizer and disinfecting wipes. We also encourage you to practice social distancing and reduce time in local stores by bringing groceries with you or having them delivered.
We do supply a starter pack that includes 2 rolls of toilet paper, 1 roll of paper towels, a few dishwasher tablets, soap bar, and dish soap.
Things to Bring on Your Finger Lakes Vacation
- Sunscreen, lip protection & Aloe Vera. These are both important to protect you from the sun, so you can enjoy your stay. Sunscreen is recommended to be SPF 30 or higher and waterproof. If you do get sunburned, Aloe Vera is highly recommended to help heal your skin.
- Insect repellent and hand sanitizer. Whether you’re sitting around a campfire or eating dinner outdoors, sometimes the bugs can be a challenge, so bring the bug spray. Hand sanitizer comes in handy before grabbing a bite to eat or after being outside for most of the day.
- A cooler. While enjoying a boat ride on a hot summer’s day, you might want a cold beverage, so bringing a cooler is recommended. Be sure to stock up on plenty of water.
- A sandwich bag with rice in it. If you accidentally drop your cell phone in the lake, don’t panic; there MAY still be hope! Retrieve the phone as quickly as you can, remove the battery (iPhones excluded), and put the phone and the battery in the bag of rice for at least 24 hours. The rice acts as an absorbent and pulls the moisture out of the phone and battery.
- Camera and travel journal. You’ll want something to capture and record some of your best moments on your vacation with us.
- Laundry Supplies. If your home has a washer and dryer, you may consider bringing the supplies necessary to wash your clothes. We recommend high efficiency detergent.
- Water shoes. The rock bottom of the lake contains some mussels that could cut your feet, so you wouldn’t want to go in barefoot. Crocs® are an excellent alternative.
- Medicine. You want to be prepared in case any allergies kick in. (Please note that any prescription medications that are left behind CANNOT be returned! Be sure you remember to take them home with you!)
- First aid kit. This might include band aids, anti-itch cream, bandages, and other medical supplies, just in case.
- A light sweatshirt. You might need this if you are outdoors at night watching the sunset and the moon rise.
- A hat and/or umbrella. It will come in handy on a warm summer’s day to keep you in the shade.
- Hiking shoes. There are several hiking trails in the areas around the Finger Lakes, so be prepared for any adventure!
- Spare batteries. You never know if you’ll need them for your camera, household items, alarm clock, etc.
- Swimming gear, such as snorkeling equipment (goggles, flippers, snorkel, etc). There are all kinds of interesting fish that might be worth exploring, while on your lovely vacation.
- Fishing gear. Fishing can be a very fun activity during your stay. New York State does require you to have a Fishing License. To learn more visit, http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6091.html/.
- Toiletries. Always be sure to have your shampoo, deodorant, soap, razors, toothbrush, etc. for a trip to the lake.
- A blanket. You may want a blanket for an afternoon picnic or for star gazing.
- Chargers for all your electronics. This might include chargers for your cell phone, portable DVD player, laptop, etc.
- If you wear glasses or contacts, be sure to bring the essential items necessary. There’s nothing worse than a tear in a contact lens or broken glasses and not being able to enjoy yourself!
- Addresses of friends and family. You may want to send them a fun postcard!
- Even though it is not technically "the beach." It's still a good idea to bring a few beach towels with you.
- Baby and child essentials. Pack the basics and any of your little one’s must-haves from home and then let our partner provide the rest. BabyQuip Baby Gear Rentals with Megan Wilson will deliver and set up full-size cribs, high-chairs, strollers, toys and more to your rental property prior to your arrival. Everything will ready for your family to start your vacation as soon as you step through the door! Learn more and reserve your gear at BabyQuip Baby Gear Rentals - Megan Wilson
Finger Lakes Premier Properties does provide you with a starter kit, so your first stop isn’t the grocery store. This includes 2 rolls of toilet paper, 1 roll of paper towels, a few dishwasher tablets, soap bar, and dish soap.